Becoming an online sensation is something that most people will only ever dream of, but the fact your reading this article could mean you have the inbuilt desire to push yourself either into stardom or at least have a great online presence. To be an online rockstar your going to need to put in the effort, no excuses and you MUST see creating content as a key part of your marketing plan.
We spend time with lots of businesses all over the world who like the idea of posting, tweeting, blogging etc. but reality is that if they don’t make a big sale in the first few weeks then the motivation wavers and they revert back to old school networking and start sending emails to people who don’t even want them!
So without further ado let us list what we think you need to do to start building your journey.
- Make Time! – Online marketing isn’t something you just find a spare 5 minutes to do, you need to treat it as a serious part of your business! If you were placing an advert in a newspaper or on TV you wouldn’t just whip something together so why is it any different for online marketing. We would always encourage you to find set blocks of time either daily or weekly to spend creating content that will represent your brand, your values and sell your business in the right light. As well as content there is titles, images, seo and call to actions to think about so make the time to be serious about marketing your business.
- Make A Plan – Sounds obvious but so many businesses that we spend time with just don’t have a plan, which means they are running their businesses with no direction. Start with the end in mind, that way your plan is stepping stones to get you where you want to be. If you want to create the ultimate database full of like minded people – not a problem, simply work the steps back from start to finish until you have the ultimate plan of how to do this.
- Review, Review & Review – So you’ve made some time and you have a plan, now be in the 1% club and actually take the time to review your results. If it’s Facebook look for insights, Twitter it’s twitter analytics, email it’s results and so on. Learn from everything – time of day, content, topic, image until you have content being delivered and loved by your new found fans.
- Perception – Your accounts have to represent you in the right light, if your a plumber then be a plumber, if your a business coach then be a business coach. What we mean is that people are interested in you for your industry so posting about something irrelevant is off putting to the reader, stick to what you are. On a side note don’t mix your personal and business accounts up, just as posted irrelevant content it’s just as bad to post your meal or visit to the gym! Once you have great looking accounts make sure you update them! If your customer lands on an abandoned account then the message your putting out is that you don’t care about your business and worst still subconsciously why should they?
- Cross Sell – Make it easy for your customers to buy! All online platforms, websites, emails etc. must have the opportunity to take your customer on a further journey, after all you will at some point want your customer to buy from you – right? Weblink, landing pages, forms are just a few of the things you could use to lengthen your customers journey. Also take the opportunity to promote other platforms on each platform, so a post on Facebook about following us on Instagram and the benefits of doing so might increase your followers and with followers who are important to your brand.
- Don’t Sell, Solve Problems – The main reason your email probably fails is that all you do is sell! and the same will go for social. You can and should as part of a plan sell your services from time to time, after all your awesome at what you do and you want people to be awesome too with a little help from you. But selling constantly will see users switch off and unsubscribe meaning your killing your future opportunities. Marketing works best when you solve an emotional problem with free advice then nurture your customer into a sale later down the line. For example if you were a personal trainer in a gym then fat loss will be a normal everyday conversation, so posting how to lose a stone in a week will get a great response. This is down to the emotional factor, a person will be upset, disappointed and seeking the help to make them look good again. They also probably have a busy life so giving up a week will be a sacrifice they are willing to offer up, with both these points they are likely to read the post. Now if that sensitivity has been removed and the post says buy from me, it could work but its unlikely. Instead the post offers up some exercise, some dietary advice etc. and the customer appreciates the advice and starts to trust you. With this trust you can start to nurture the customer into sale.
- Grow Your Accounts – The work you are now putting in with all those blogs, tweets, posts etc. will no doubt be bringing you new followers and new opportunities but the bigger the audience (on social media) the more impressions, reach and engagement you will receive. Your aim is always to get your content to carry as far as possible whilst potentially finding you those sales opportunities. The more people you have the more people are listening and to be a rockstar your going to want an audience. So look for tools that will help you grow your accounts. If you want more Twitter followers look at programs like Manage Flitter, if you want more Facebook followers pay the boosting fees, if your struggling with time look at Hootsuite. The main point is that it’s not cheating to grow your accounts as long as the people your targeting are good for your business. Don’t buy 50,000 fake followers, you’re never going to sell to them! instead invest in tools that help you grow your accounts with people that potentially will buy from you in the near future.
- Showcase Your Brilliance – So after a while you will have consistent, great accounts added with your brilliance means it’s time to start to online network. What we mean by this is that you find people that you want to work alongside or be known like and form relationships by re-tweeting, mentioning, liking, sharing etc. the posts of these people. To be a rockstar you need to be a thought leader in that people look to you for inspiration, so by forming relationships with similar people you will be able to influence their followers to follow you and start to push you up the social ladder. Think offline too, radio shows, networking, podcasts the list is endless you are after all backed up with some seriously good online presence.
- Don’t Forget Email – When an email is right it is well ….. right! and to achieve the ultimate email database there is one very simple rule – The person receiving the email needs to have asked to receive it! Try it yourself open up your email account and see which emails you click delete without even opening and those that you keep and read. Spam emails are like junk mail, we never asked for it and now we have to use our time to deal with it which caused negative vibes. When we actual consent for the email to be sent to us we read it, look forward to it maybe and are more likely to stay in a long lasting relationship with that company so that when we are ready to buy we do.
- Just Be There – whatever you decide, to be great at anything you must show people that you are the top dog, mr professional, the master! so ignoring your online presence will simply hand your potential clients to your competitors. Acknowledge the world has changed and you must change with it, do some old school things if they honestly still work for your business but never stop evolving. Stay present, stay in the moment and keep building your followers, databases and reputation.
The ten points above are the foundations of how you can have a consistent online presence whilst building your followers and building your reputation. Consistency is the secret to any marketing plan as very few people can post, tweet, write blogs on a consistent basis. Remember not all online marketing will instantly make you money, some articles will be found years later before a sale is made from it. Your trying to find like minded people who will believe in you, buy from you and become raving fans of you and with billions of people available online you have a lot to go at.